I've been letting that number roll around my head for a few weeks now. It has made me take a look at the last ten years, a decade. Many things I wish I could do over, when I look at Tanner I ask myself if he's happy. Have I made these 10 years as special and loving and full of joy for him as he's made them for me, for the family and friends?
Ten years ago I was in a German hospital, scared and full of uncertainty. I called out to God to save my baby~ never having had much of a relationship with Him, I wasn't sure if He would hear me. I woke up from surgery with even more fear of the unknown, where was my baby? Did he make it? Someone tell me something!
Ten years ago the doctors sat Brian and I down and across the table told us that there was a good possibility that Tanner would be a vegetable, but it was uncertain what the future would bring. As hard as that was to hear, I knew that God had saved Tanner, and he was meant for great things!!
Tanner can light up a room like no other. He tells you he loves you with a smile. He has changed me for the better, teaches me lessons in patience and compassion daily. He has unconditional love for everyone he meets.
His smile makes me smile~ his smile lights up my world! Happy birthday to my big 10 year old boy!
![]() |
| First family picture |
![]() |
| Even smiling in his sleep |
![]() |
| My little punkin |
Here's little trip down memory lane~
| 1st wheelchair |
![]() |
| He drew on his face and wall with a marker~ proud of his work |
![]() |
| 1st birthday |
Happy Birthday Tanner~ we love you so very much!
| Standing~ he's about 4'10" |
| Birthday phone call |
Bring on the next 10 years!!




















I love you, Tanner!! Thank-You, Shannon, for posting these great photos. What fun to see your boy from the beginning. He's gorgeous. Happy Birthday to you, too, Mama.
ReplyDeleteIt's so amazing to look back, sometimes I get caught up in the here and now. Thank you! I still look to you as an example of a great, loving Mama!!! <3
DeleteShannon, these photos are wonderful. How Tanner has grown! He is so handsome and his smile lights up a room. We wish him an incredible next 10 years (and you and Brian, too). Love to all of you from Maine
ReplyDeleteThank you!! I wish we could see you, gosh Maine is so far from Washington!!! Your cards arrived yesterday, they will probably open them on Sat at the big party. But seriously, those Disney stamps!!???!!!??!! Those are the cutest things ever!!! Love you!!
DeleteWhat a beautiful way to honor Tanner’s 10th birthday! I love the photos and your reflections on his first ten years. I remember the days I spent with you in the Neonatal ICU in Germany…Tanner was a silent baby, no matter how many needles and tests he endured. You and I were standing next to him when he cried for the first time…I will never forget that moment and the elation and hope that we felt as we cried along with him! We always knew Tanner was here for a reason. He has taught us all so much already…about patience, true un-tempered elation and joy, and unconditional love. He has blossomed with the love, respect and compassion you and Brian have given him every day. He is a very lucky boy…and we are a very fortunate family to have him in our lives. Happy Birthday, Tanner! With love and big hugs from Aunt Pat!
ReplyDelete