Knowing your limits but not limiting yourself.
When I posted the video of Tanner walking in the pool we were on such a high!! He continued to do great things that week! He was walking every day in his walker; in the house from the car, down the sidewalk and back, around and around in the house. Traveling anywhere and everywhere 'he' wanted to go! The house was full of cheers, smiles, an encouraging family and one very proud boy.
The pinnacle of this great walking was Friday afternoon, after his spring concert. He came home from school and literally walked for hours! Like 4 hours or more, stopping only to take short breaks, then standing up to walk some more. It was almost mind blowing how much walking he was doing. All on his own, self motivation, he wanted to walk!
There came a point, where even though I was happy and proud of Tanner, I knew this was a lot of walking and was wishing he would just call it a night, rest his legs, I could tell he was getting tired but I didn't want to squash his desire, why on earth would I tell him to stop walking??? He walked a little longer, ending with a walk to the bedroom.
In hopes of easing his pain and getting him to rest, we hid the walker on Saturday and on Sunday when he went to walk again, the quality just wasn't there. His steps were much smaller, he took more frequent breaks, and my biggest fear, was complaining that he hurt. He's complained every day since and walking today is not happening. He had xrays last week and we are using therapy today as a measuring mark to see how he's doing. Pool went pretty good yesterday, but he cried last night saying his night braces were hurting and I ended up taking them off at 3 this morning. So, I guess we found Tanner's limit for walking, for right now. 4 hours is just too much!!
Other news, Tanner had his first baseball game last Friday. It went great!! I was so happy, if felt so good to be a part of the Challenger program again! He was so happy! I wish you each could come to a game to see just how special it really is, I don't think my pictures can ever really capture it. Owen had his first T-ball practice last night. He came home showing me all the things he learned. I'm so happy that he has something just for him. I can't wait for his first game next weekend!!
 |
| He's standing, checking himself out in the microwave |
 |
| Happy Easter! |
 |
| First time using his walker to look for eggs; usually they're all on the floor |
 |
| Warming up |
 |
| Owen's a good helper |
 |
| Next to bat |
 |
| Coming home |
 |
| Love that smile! |
 |
| Happy boy!! |
We'll work on building back up to where he was a couple weeks ago. He had it, everything was clicking, he just pushed himself a little too much.
No comments:
Post a Comment